directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposed protocol-dns changes
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:45:50 GMT
On 1/16/07, Richard Wallace <rwallace@thewallacepack.net> wrote:
> That should cover it all.  I'd like to add a few more decoders for
> things like TXT and SOA records.  That should cover about 90% of the
> records in use on most DNS servers.

That would be nice.  I also think CNAME, PTR, and SRV should be in
that group.  In particular, SRV is used during "KDC discovery" and to
find LDAP servers, both of which are, of course, relevant to us.

In order to combat spoofing/phishing we'll see the record types
related to security rise in usage.

> Then I'd like to get things separated a little bit more and create
> subprojects within protocol-dns.  I'm thinking something like
> protocol-dns/
>   core/
>   mina-shared/
>   server/
>     shared/
>     mina/
>     store/
>   client/

I can see splitting to client, server, and shared.  We've done that as
protocal impl's get bigger.  As I noted in a previous email, I don't
agree with the need to totally abstract out MINA.

I think making the store pluggable is a good idea.  Though, the
synergy with directories is quite nice.  You can see in an old
experimental build combining OSGi, Directory, and the DNS server
provider how this looks in an LDAP browser:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/Configuration+Admin+with+LDAP+and+DNS

> I wouldn't mind actually seeing this becoming a separate project of it's
> own, like dns.apache.org.  That would be really cool.

I'm really glad to see activity on DNS.  It is an important part of
the over-arching concept of "realm control" but you need all of the
protocols working, server-side, to pull it off and that is a ton of
work.

Enrique