directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MINA based DNS client
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:08:14 GMT
On 1/12/07, Richard Wallace <rwallace@thewallacepack.net> wrote:
> Looks like there are encoders for the most common stuff and I was able
> to do a quick little one off client that sends a request for an MX
> record.  But there don't seem to be any decoders.

OK, my bad.  As you can tell I haven't been in there in a while.

> I'd also like to
> try and break it down a little bit more, because adding the dependency
> on the apacheds-protocol-dns artifact to my project pulled in quite a
> bit of other stuff (like shared-ldap, shared-asn1, antlr, jdbm).
> They're not really needed by  someone just wanting to make use of the
> dns protocol codecs and I'd rather not have to do a done of exclusions
> to get it all back out.

Yeah, as a server plugin it was pretty functional but it does mean it
has all the deps of the Directory core.  All those deps should be
behind JNDI; at a minimum, they are all related to some store
interface.

> Would you mind too much if I tried my hand at doing a little
> refactoring?  There are some things I'd like to add, such as
> convenience methods for creating  different types of DnsMessage
> objects (it took me quite a while to track down all the parameters I
> had to set for the constructor, I'd rather not have to do that again ;).

I wouldn't mind at all.  In fact, it would be great.

Enrique