directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Triplesec] Permissions, Roles and Groups
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:08:57 GMT
David Jencks a écrit :

> On Jan 25, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
>>
>>> OK - So if we have aggregate roles / hierarchical
>>> roles, we can elliminate the concept of groups.
>>>
>>> Groovy.
>>>

>> AFAIK, groups are very cool to have if you deal with more than one
>> application. Roles will be Application related, and groups will be
>> more Users related.
>>
>> Those two elements are pretty close, but their semantics are
>> different, if I understand.
>

> OK, so I was hoping to delay getting into this additional issue.....
>
> Would you agree that if there's only one "application" then groups +
> role <> group assigment is equivalent to the direct user<>role
> association I was talking about although looked at from the opposite
> direction?
>
> For jacc we need some kind of idea of groups of applications.  I
> implemented this by allowing multiple appName=foo,appName=bar,.... in
> dns, in sandbox/triplesec-jacc2.  You can have any level of nesting
> you want, but for jacc you need 2 levels  (application and context
> within the app).  I can see having groups of applications you want to
> administer at once, for instance a portal app together with a bunch
> of portlet apps deployed on the portal.  So I can see a use for 3
> levels.
>
> So what I was actually thinking of is that within a group of
> applications you'd want all the role names to be the same.  The
> permissions would still be associated with a particular "leaf"
> application (context for my jacc example) but you'd expect to have
> the same role names within each sub-applications.  Then you'd have
> the user <> role association at the level of the group of
> applications that you wanted to deal with together.
>
> There might still be some difference.... I'm not sure.

Well, I think here we are just playing with semantic :)

All in all, I really think those things are very similar. You can
perfectly manage the so called 'groups' within a hierarchy of roles.

Now, let's talk about real life, I mean, you know, those big companies
with an IT management which does not manage anything but budgets... They
just stack applications, and ask poor admin to manage roles,
permissions, grants and deny, and of course all those applications
aren't compatible or does not use the same semantics.

This is a problem. Let say that when using 'groups', you allow a sort of
flexibility, and you help an administrator to create a feeling of
comfort (it's easy to create a group called 'accountant' including
people allowed to access SAP, SAS and some kind of web application. The
'roles' will be defined application by application. )

At this point, real life example could help to understand the concept of
chaos and babelization we are faced with...

But, yes, a role hierarchy seems pretty ok if you can manage it. And
Groups are also another way to do it, with different names. IMHO.

Ok, I have to further my thinking about all this sh*t I just wrote, and
maybe tomorow, after a full night, ideas will be clearer :)

Anyway, this is important concepts and this convo is really important.
Thanks Alex, David, Ersin and Ole !

Emmanuel