directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [ldap] Re: AW: Re: LDAP Addressbook / schema selection]
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:54:34 GMT
Stefan Seelmann a écrit :

>Very interesting.
>
>RFC4520 section 3.5 says:
>
>   Options beginning with "x-" are for Private Use and cannot be
>   registered.
>
>So if ADS would accept such private options the user could define
>his/her own options.
>street;x-home
>street;x-work
>
>Regards,
>Stefan

Yes. The main pb with x- started options is that they are very server
specific, and they can't be registred at all.

I think it would be better to use e- options if the user want to have
it's own options.

Note that we still have two main concerns with this solution :
- I don't know if we support options at all in ADS right now ;)
- We may have an interopability problem with other server and more
important, with current clients (thunderbird, etc)

I just wanted to express the idea about using those options, because it
comes at the top of my head, but we have to gather all the pros and
cons, and also consider performance impact of such a choice (not to
mention the added complexity of the current search engine ;)

Alos, if the families specification pointed by Ersin cover the needs,
then this could be seen as a good starting point : if some people have
spent time and energy to deliver a spec, I think we should not discard
this effort as useless. (I must admit that I just browsed the doco so
far ...)

Emmanuel