directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [ldap] Re: AW: Re: LDAP Addressbook / schema selection]
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:25:13 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
>> I am expecting a proposal on how we can implement this feature.  :)
>>
>> Alex
>
> Well, I don't know to much about famillies, but I think that we might
> workaround the problem of first email, second email, etc by using
> attribute descriptions options :
>
> mail;primary: my.primary.email@apache.org
> mail;office: my.office.email@iktek.com

Interesting idea for that.  We probably can use special tags for things
like that like the lang tag but this would be built in instead of user
configured.  Like for example ou;lang-en or ou;lang-fr etc.

That's perhaps the difference.

> Searching for a primary email is then very easy, supposing that the
> client accept such attribute description options (btw, they are really
> close to what we can do with languages). The filter would be :
> (mail;primary=*)
>
> Looking for all email is equally easy :
> (mail=*)
>
> It seems to be simple, not depending on anything else that basic ldap
> features, and quite logical to me.
>
> wdyt ?

I think doing this tag feature thing is ok if it's just one thing but
it's hard coded and not too flexible.  Maybe I'm missing something too.

Alex