directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Mailing list etiquette
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:42:21 GMT
Hi,

We (myself included) have lousy ML etiquette.  It's just going down hill.

Please no posts with html.

No cross posting.

We do not change the subject when appropriate (meaning when the
conversation topic has shifted to something other than the old subject
line).  Remember the best knowledge base we have is Google's indices
into mailing list archives.  So think about that when you write the
subject line.

We start threads with cryptic subjects without nice tags for tracking
different kinds of subjects.  The [XXX] convention is only worth
something if there is consistency in it's use with the right tags.  We
might have the following:

[ApacheDS]
[Triplesec]
[Site]
[Release]
[Vote]
[OT]

Also we have big long winded emails.  Email bite sized chunks (not
tirades) and it's easier to digest and have more responses faster.

Others feel free to add to our faults so we can fix them.  Really the ML
is the most important tool for this project.  Using it well is very
important.

Alex