directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon EU 2007 CFP
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:21:29 GMT
I'd like to support you on this since I personally like your work and
the topics sound really interesting but as PMC chair I have two *BIG*
problems with this:

(1) You've been MIA and don't support your code when it comes to Java
docs, external docs, test cases or community.  We have had several users
that post to the ML asking about things that no one can respond to.  You
think you're job is to just dump code here and everyone else is
responsible for cleaning it up and making sure the build, doco and site
is working.  Your behavior with respect to this community essentially
reeks of a prima donna.  You might consider becoming a team player
before asking the team for supporting presentations on topics you've
made it impossible for us to support.  This leads to point 2 ...

(2) You seem to consistently misunderstand that at Apache we're not
about technology but rather about community.  I do admit that these are
interesting topics technically and I would love to overlook your
community faults and just engage you pleasantly on these topics.
However you have not discussed any of these topics or these capabilities
on this mailing list.  We integrated the Kerberos code base and you came
on to the PMC but all your actions with respect to sharing and being
involved with the community are antithetical to that role.  Now you're
doing presentations on features and functionality at ApacheCon that
cannot really be supported by this community.  Yes no one knows about
this stuff because you never engaged us about any of it on this mailing
list.  What will happen when people see your presentation and post to
our mailing list and no one is capable of supporting them?  You
consistently don't think of these things which is the responsibility of
a PMC member.

Having a solid community that users and developers can rely on is the
key to the health and survival of an Apache project.  By doing these
presentations at ApacheCon you're advertising features that you've added
(or plan to add) without consulting the community and this does everyone
on this project a disservice.

You're putting us in a tough spot so you can goto Amsterdam and have a
nice presentation at the expense of our community.

This is something we all don't appreciate.

Alex