directory-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Wallace <rwall...@thewallacepack.net>
Subject Re: MINA based DNS client
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:32:16 GMT
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Richard Wallace <rwallace@thewallacepack.net> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I noticed there is a protocol handler for a DNS server, but didn't see
>> if there is anything that can be used as a client.  Is there a MINA
>> based DNS client in the ApacheDS project?
>
> No, but there are codecs for the PDU's including the most popular
> resource records, so a decent amount of rote work is available for
> reuse by a client.
>
> Enrique

Looks like there are encoders for the most common stuff and I was able
to do a quick little one off client that sends a request for an MX
record.  But there don't seem to be any decoders.  I'd also like to
try and break it down a little bit more, because adding the dependency
on the apacheds-protocol-dns artifact to my project pulled in quite a
bit of other stuff (like shared-ldap, shared-asn1, antlr, jdbm).
They're not really needed by  someone just wanting to make use of the
dns protocol codecs and I'd rather not have to do a done of exclusions
to get it all back out.

Would you mind too much if I tried my hand at doing a little
refactoring?  There are some things I'd like to add, such as
convenience methods for creating  different types of DnsMessage
objects (it took me quite a while to track down all the parameters I
had to set for the constructor, I'd rather not have to do that again ;).

Rich