directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reducing the complexity/verbosity of default server.xml (and custom configuration files)
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:35:05 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> There is some criticism about configuration complexity of ApacheDS,
> especially from people who argue after a first glance at it. The
> verbosity is mostly driven by the Spring Framework.
>
> Here are three ideas I had:
>
> ---
> 1) Simplify default server.xml by using another property setting style
>
> Currently, the server.xml seems to favor this style (example):
> <bean id="systemPartitionConfiguration" class="...">
>
> Is there any reason why not to use this style:
> <bean id="systemPartitionConfiguration" class="...">
>     <property name="name" value="system" />
>     <property name="cacheSize" value="100" />
>     <property name="suffix" value="ou=system" />

Don't know if it will work with spring.  Try it in a working ADS
installtion and run your experiment to see.

If it works I like this reduction in noise.

> (quite easy to achieve. I volunteer, if nobody contradicts that this is
> a (rather small) imrovement)
> ---
>
> 2) Reduce length of partition configuration
>
> Currently, partition configuration are very long, mostly because of the
> many many indices for internal attributes:

Yeah you don't need to do an index for it.  It can be defaulted.

>         <bean
> class="org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.MutableIndexConfiguration">

>           <property
>         </bean>
> (many others follow, in each partition the same
>
> If it is highly recommend to use these indices, how about having a
> special IndexConfiguration as a default, which only has to be extended
> in order to adjust it to your needs?

Good idea I think we may already have this but I must confirm it.

> ---
>
> 3. Define our own tags for configuration with the help XML Schema-based
> configuration introduced in Spring 2.0. This is more a long term option.
> But I think the idea is promising.
>
> What do you think?

Hmmm I don't even know what this is.  I don't have any ideas on Spring
2.0.  But from what I can gather from your question above it does sound
like a nice solution to use a custom ads schema.

Regards,
Alex