directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: Reducing the complexity/verbosity of default server.xml (and custom configuration files)
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:29:47 GMT
Well, my position is a little bit different. Sure, too much XML suX(ml),
but the problem is not that the configuration is huge, it's that we
currently don't have tools to manage that (tools = GUI).

But with LdapStudio, I think we might have an acceptable solution :
- users who like to click will use it
- users who prefer vi and long text file will favor xml files :)

However, there are so much things in the server.xml file which could be
defaulted, that it might be a good idea to spend some time on this
subject. I don't really see the point of having all the intercptors
exhibited here. Maybe we can default those guys...

David Jencks a écrit :

> I think James Strachan and Dain Sundstrom have cooked up some stuff
> that automatically generates schemas for each bean and then lets you
> use that customized xml for your spring configuration.  It's
> somewhere in the xbean project inside geronimo.  I'll try to find out
> more if there's interest.  I'm pretty sure  activeMQ is using this
> for its configuration.  From what I've heard its a big improvement
> over normal spring configuration.
> thanks
> david jencks
> On Jan 9, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Stefan Zoerner wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> There is some criticism about configuration complexity of ApacheDS,
>> especially from people who argue after a first glance at it. The
>> verbosity is mostly driven by the Spring Framework.
>> 2) Reduce length of partition configuration
>> Currently, partition configuration are very long, mostly because of
>> the many many indices for internal attributes:
>>         <bean
>> class="
>> dexConfiguration">
>>           <property
>> name="attributeId"><value></value></

>> property>
>>         </bean>
>> (many others follow, in each partition the same
>> If it is highly recommend to use these indices, how about having a
>> special IndexConfiguration as a default, which only has to be
>> extended in order to adjust it to your needs?
yeah, sure, good point.

Stefan, can you do a list of all the elements that could be defaulted ?

View raw message