directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving ldapstuio and triplesec out of trunks ?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:32:44 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what about moving those guys down one level? It's really painfull to
>> have to dowload mb of jars when you want to check out the trunks...
>

> Yeap those jars are a problem.  How about we put them in a maven REPO?

no, this is not what I had in mind. The main problem is that ldapstudio
and ADS are pretty much separate project. It's not really obvious that
they must share the same trunk. Triplesec is also a separate project.
And at some point, I'm not sure that it is a good idea to have a common
pom.xml for all those guys in trunks, because them it will be mor and
more difficult to guarantee that trunks is always 'buildable' at all
time : too many people will risk to break the build with a bad commit,
and it will take too long to build the whole project before committing.

>> We could have such a structure :
>

> Yeah we were using this structure except we were calling trunks ->
> trunk instead.  Then someone had the idea of keeping all trunks
> together in a trunks directory.

I think it made sense when it was about ads itself. Now with ldapstudio
representing half the size of ADS itself, and triplesec being a fat baby
too, I'm not sure it worth it anymore.

> I think this was Enrique's idea.  Perhaps he can elaborate on why we
> did this.  I no longer remember why but just got used to this
> configuration.

The 'why' should remain history, at this point. What was good a year ago
may not be good now, IMHO. The separation could make sense now, and we
may go back to a grand-reunification in one year, I don't know. Right
now, my guts ask for a little separation, like what we did for MINA (not
that I want ldapstudio to become a TLP :).