directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OID size limit?
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:55:11 GMT
Hi Tino,

On 12/28/06, Tino Schwarze <tisc@in-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> > 1.3.6.1.4.1.<myprivateOID>.0.<first 32 bits value>.<second 32 bits
> value>.
> > ... .<last 32 bits value>.
>
> Oh, I see. That's rather cumbersome and would clutter the structure a
> lot. Well, one's not supposed to parse the structure anyway...

The question is : will you AttributeType be OID ? Becuase then, well, we
won't accept attribute values with OIDs containing arks above this interval.
We could have used BigInterger, I know ... Anyway :)

> Do also remember that, in LDAP, OID are used to declare new attribute
> types,
> > so creating arbitrary long OID does not make a lot of sense, but as I'm
> not
> > aware of all the possible use-cases...
> >
> > I would be very interested to know why you need such OID values.
>
> Well, I'd like to create an automated open-EIS to LDAP mapping. In
> open-EIS we've got so-called templates (which are basically RDBMS tables
> with lots of sugar and niceties like multi-language support etc.). A
> template has a uniqe name called GUID, e.g. "c4u_classic_email". To
> avoid having to assign a unique template OID for each open-EIS template
> (extending the data model etc.), I just took the template GUID (which
> consist of [a-zA-Z0-9_] and is up to 128 characters long) and converted
> it to a number.

What about doing a conversion like : A-> 10+ 1, B-> 10 + 2, ... Z->10 + 26,
0 -> 0, 1 -> 1, ...etc leading to OIDs like that :
GUID = azerty12345
OID = 11.36.15.28.30.35.1.2.3.4.5

Just a suggestion ...

That way, the template GUID -> OID mapping is unique and I don't need a
> central registry (which is rather cumbersome because third parties may
> develop open-EIS modules themselves and currently, they don't need to
> tell us; then they'd need to apply for template OID, wait for it etc.).
>
> I'll try the 32-bits approach (BTW why 32 and not 42? ;-) ).

Because.

42 is totally different, and should be used with respect :
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(Antwort)

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny