directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:11:08 GMT
On 12/18/06, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:

> Hi dev,
>
> We discuss on IM last week that we should redesign the website and have
> something that looks a little more "sexy" and appealing.
>
> I have a friend who is Web Designer and interested in making us a website.
>

> I have some basic design questions for you to guide him a little before he
> draws a first sketch.
>
> 1°/ What kind of design do we want ? Left side column for navigation
> links, right side column (much larger) for content is a standard that we
> could use, what do you think ?

I think that the best sample of what I like to have is :
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE
So basically, left side for navigation, right side : content.

2°/ What are our colours ? Alex was proposing to use match the colours used
> by the Mozilla website, which is a variation of blues. Any thougths ?

Well, even if Mozilla colors are not so bad, I would prefer the Ubuntu
colors

3°/ What Navigation do we want to show ? Do we match the old architecture
> used by the maven generated website or do we change it ? What kind of
> sections do we want to have ?

We must discuss that on a wiki page, I guess... The old architecture is
pretty old, and does not represent the current state of the project. What is
really important is that we have ADS, plus a list of TLP like Triplesec,
LdapStudio, etc... Mina is now not any more a part of ADS, and the site
should reflect this. We _must_ give a high focus on user's guide, now that
they have been incredibly improved by the G-men (G stands for German :), and
less on architecture, in my mind. A News section on top of content part is
also mandatory (not even sure that the initial content should not just be
this 'nexs' section)

4°/ Since we are going to rebuild a website, I think It could be a good time
> for designing the logo for ADS. This way, we could integrate these things
> together. If you're OK with that, I think my friend will be pleased to
> propose us something, and I could maybe have some proposals from other
> friends that makes some graphics arts too.

Yeah, let's start a logo contest on cwiki. This is the way to go !

Emmanuel

Cheers,

--
Cordialement,