directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Binary attributes
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:34:29 GMT
Hi,

while I'm writting some SyntaxCheckers, a question popped in my mind : do we
still have to take care of binary attributes ? This is a list of attributes
type which is set into server.xml to express the fact that those attributes
are considered as binary, and not as text, thus their values are stored as
byte[] insteado of UTF-8 Strings.

Each attribute has a type, and must respect a Syntax, which already describe
the type of data that can be stored into an attribute values. Be it
DirectoryString for instance, then the attribute value is an UTF-8 String,
as stated by RFC 4517. If we neeed to store a binary value like a jpeg file,
we can use the Jpeg syntax for the Attribute type. Otherwise, the
OctetString Syntax is able to handle any kind of value, for 0 byte to
whatever.

I guess we can relax a little bit the decoder checks by considering that all
attribute values are byte[], and let the Schema Interceptor deal with badly
written values, checking them with their associated Syntax.

wdyt ?

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny