directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Schema] Review of meta schema
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:49:44 GMT
Ok, thanks for the review and notes.

> Hey Emmanuel,
>
> A few notes on the meta schema.
>

> Problems With Schema
> --------------------
>
>   o m-type-attribute-type is unknown to me.  I could not figure out what
> you wanted to use it for.  I deleted it for now thinking we can redifine
> it if need be.

This is obviously a mistake. You did well deleting this superfluous AT.

  o You made all attributes have a USAGE of dSAOperation and they were
> set to NO-USER-MODIFICATION.  Schema changes can still be made by users
> so these are userApplication attributes and are modifiable.

I don't think so for MetaAttributes. They should _never_ change.

Plugin Quirks
> -------------
>
>   o Unfortunately you must use lower case for strings 'objectclass' and
> 'attributetype'

ok, not a big deal. We may want to change that latter.

  o Order of attributes are important as defined strictly by RFC: i.e.
> SINGLE-VALUE must go after SYNTAX but before NO-USER-MODIFICATION.

I don't think that we must respect the order, but however, we can stick to
it atm. I just think that this constraint (which is not explicit in the
RFCs) is what it is : a constraints to users. How many time did you had to
modify your schema file just because you have misplaced the SINGLE-VALUE
element? So in my mind, I think we should relax this constraint. The
important thing is that all the elements are present... But it can wait too.

General Rules
> -------------
>
>    o You must use OID values for SYNTAX even if you have to make up a
> placeholder syntax for temporary use.

You are right...

   o By convention first character in names is lowercased and camel
> humps are used.

yes, that's right.Let's keep the m-, but remove all the other '-' and  use
camel humps.

Here's the commit if you'd like to take a look and confirm correctness.

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny