directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers on Dependencies
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:34:14 GMT
On 12/2/06, Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <snip/>

I could say that only dependency management should be
> used in the parent, and dependencies should be
> explicitly listed on each kid.
>
> That way some of the kids don't end up with
> dependencies they don't really need, and we have the
> benefit of being able to update the version in one
> place.

I'm not 100% bullet proof sure, but if you don't tell the sub-project to use
dependency D, then it will ignore it (assuming D is declared in the top
level pom.xml in the DependencyManagement section _with_ the version)

I'm leaning toward this as a best practice, because we
> could have a build that has 3 modules and then we add
> a 4th one, and if the parent had dependencies included
> in the pom, the 4th module automatically gets them,
> and maybe it didn't really want them.

What I don't know is if the packaging grab *all* the dependencies declared
in the TL pom.xml, or if it just restrain it's appetite to the deps declared
in the local pom.xml. I guess you can give it a try with the actual project,
or with a fake project with sub-projects.

Thoughts?

Emmanuel