directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UTF-8 woes
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:19:35 GMT
> AAAAAAHHHHHhhhh ! (Or is it \C3\C3\C3\C3\C3\C3HHHHHhhhh ? :)
>
> You will have to be a little bit more explicit... How do you build your RDN?
> FYI, it is supposed to be a UTF-8 encoded String, so if you are to code an
> ä, you will have to :
> - create a byte array containing it's counterpart (0xC3 0xa4) and do a new
> String( byteArray, "UTF-8" ) before passing it to the RDN constructor
> - OR do a new RDN( "\u00e4" );
>
> never do a new RDN( "ä" ), because then the String will be considered as
> ISO-8859-1 encoded  string (at least in Germany or in France, not in Turkey
> :)

What is the difference between creating an RDN with new RDN( "ä" ) and
with new String( new byte[] { 0xC3, 0xa4 }, "UTF-8" ) ? There is
nothing as "UTF-8" String in Java. All strings are UTF-16. You can get
their representations in other encodings as byte arrays. So when you
do a new RDN( "ä" ), it should be converted to UTF-16 internally. What
am I missing here?

(Not being able to display the character in source code in other
platforms is a different matter. It's about the text editor encoding.)

--
Ersin