directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers on Dependencies
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:11:59 GMT
Hi Julius,

(JPackage team - could you please comment on this if
you think any of my rationale is kooko...Just remember
my mailbox limit is 1 Gig)

I have not investigated it personally, but
someone from JPackage said that it does.

Yes - It does support non-versioned dependencies :-)

Which I think is the cause of a lot of

$%#@$%^$#

showing up in some of the maven support mailing lists.

Personally I'm concerned about using any dependency
other than one set by =.

One could make the assumption that someone checked all
the dependencies outside of =.  But if they missed
one, and someone uses it...

On the other hand = is the only thing used and the
application builds and runs, users can be fairly
certain that it's good to go.  They can also be
certain that the developers took care in specifying
versioned dependencies.

This also encourages developers to be careful about
testing when changing depedencies (Since it takes a
warm body, at least for now).

Sorry - I missed the point of:

Requires:       jpackage-utils

Could you please elaborate?