directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Open architecture identity and authorization efforts.
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:47:12 GMT
Hey Greg,

--- greg@enjellic.com wrote:

> On Dec 5,  8:05pm, "Apache Directory Developers
> List" wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Open architecture identity and
> authorization efforts.
>
> > Hi Greg,
>
> Good afternoon Ole, hope your day is going well.

It is indeed.  Diddo.

> > Wow - That's what I call a reply :-)
> >
> > Thanks for all the terrific elaboration.
>
> I'm glad you found the descriptions useful.  Under
> the best of
> conditions identity is an abstract concept.
> IDfusion suffers from
> that as well as being a completely different
> metaphor/paradigm.

True.

> > It's really interesting stuff.  I would love to
> ask more questions
> > and first I want to make sure I'm in a position to
> actually do more
> > than just ask questions, so I'll hold off for a
> little bit until I
> > have a chance to understand better how something
> like this
> > fits/complements an ApacheDS roadmap.
>
> Feel free to forward any questions.  I summarized
> some issues for
> David Jencks last week which went through the list
> as well.

Yes - I saw these.  Good discussion.

> >From a pure directory play perspective IDfusion may
> or may not be
> revelant to ApacheDS.  It was purposely designed to
> be agnostic with
> respect to directory implementation.
>
> The goals of the ApacheDS seem to be somewhat
> loftier than a simple
> directory services implementation.  The provider
> plug-in architecture
> would seem to indicate a desire to deliver multiple
> service offerings
> from a common data/management store.
>
> If the ApacheDS group shares the vision of the need
> for a common
> authorization implementation architecture IDfusion
> becomes relevant
> with respect to Kerberos services.  At a minimum the
> Kerberos plug-in
> would need to support authorization payload
> injection.

Yes - ApacheDS is a really sweet piece of work thanks
to all the effort put in by the gang.  Alex and the
team gave me the honor of becoming a comitter just a
little while ago, so I'm still playing around on the
periphery of it, while finishing up several other
indirectly related projects.  Hope to get in way
deeper soon through documentation review and further
contribution centering around pluggability of
complentary services.

> > Thanks again,
> > - Ole
>
> Best wishes for a productive week and a pleasant
> holiday season.
>
> }-- End of excerpt from "Apache Directory Developers
> List"
>
> As always,
> Greg

Same to you!  Looking forward to touching base again
after the holiday season, if not sooner.

Cheers,
- Ole