directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UTF-8 woes
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:25:21 GMT
Tino Schwarze a écrit :

>Hi Emmanuel,
>
>On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 01:12:48AM +0100, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>

>>I can' believe as was _so wrong_ !!! This method is just used aroung 900
>>times in the server. Modifying it would break it completly, and would
>>take days to fix it back...
>>

>Thank your for your evaluation. BTW: Are you sure that
>LdapDN.toString() is called (I've got no dev setup here at home, can't
>check) - e.g. Eclipse shows all calls to Object.toString() if you're
>displaying the Callers of LdapDN.toString().

The probem is that LdapDN implements Name, so if you search for
LdapDN.toString(), you will find nothing. However, as soon as you enter
the server, we use the interface instead of LdapDN, and we call
Name.toString() method, which internally _is_ LdapDN.toString() method.

This is why I initially thought that LdapDN.toString() was never called...

>>In the meantime, ust use getUpName().
>>

>I'll try that and see what I get (next year).

FYI, I have tested you test case using getUpName() and it works.

>>Again, sorry. As a defense, I will argue that LdapDN is _not_ intended
>>to be used from the outside of the server (yes, I know, this is a
>>pathetic excuse :-/ )
>>

>I'm not outside the server, I'm inside. ;-)

ok, then, getUpName is the method to use. I have created an issue about
changing the toString() semantic, but this is definitively not an easy
task. As I said, there are around 900 places in the code where we call
toString()...

>Bye,
>
>Tino.

Happy new year :)