directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementing an alternative backend
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:25:52 GMT
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a pretty interesting project here: We would like to equip our
> open-EIS knowledge management software with an embedded LDAP server.
> I was pretty glad to find the Apache DS since everything seems to be in
> place. My first goal is to allow user authentication against an existing
> open-EIS user base which is stored in a DB.
>
> Looking at the architecture I found that the best way would be to
> implemnt a new backend and provide a DN<->category mapping (open-EIS
> content is organized in categories) as well as a OID<->SQL mapping.
>
> Do you have any hints or advice for me? Is this the right place to
> start?

Sounds like a nice project to work on.  Yeah writing a custom partition
would give you a lot of power.  It is the right place to start.

First thing just take a look at the Partition interface in the partition
package.  You'll have to implement this for your EIS application.

Best thing to do might be to first stub out all the methods and set
things up so you can just read a simple entry after installing the
partition into the server.  Then you can move on to start building up
your solution.

Regards,
Alex