directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:30:47 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 12/18/06, *Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot* <pa@marcelot.net
> <mailto:pa@marcelot.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi dev,
>
>     We discuss on IM last week that we should redesign the website and
>     have something that looks a little more "sexy" and appealing.
>
>     I have a friend who is Web Designer and interested in making us a
>     website.
>
>     I have some basic design questions for you to guide him a little
>     before he draws a first sketch.
>
>     1°/ What kind of design do we want ? Left side column for navigation
>     links, right side column (much larger) for content is a standard
>     that we could use, what do you think ?
>

> I think that the best sample of what I like to have is :
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE
> So basically, left side for navigation, right side : content.

Yeah that sounds good to me too.

>     2°/ What are our colours ? Alex was proposing to use match the
>     colours used by the Mozilla website, which is a variation of blues.
>     Any thougths ?
>

> Well, even if Mozilla colors are not so bad, I would prefer the Ubuntu
> colors

Ahhh yeah I like that better actually.  Good call Emmanuel.

>     3°/ What Navigation do we want to show ? Do we match the old
>     architecture used by the maven generated website or do we change it
>     ? What kind of sections do we want to have ?

Hmmm basically I think we need to have a list of all the DIRxZZZ
confluence exports as items that can be visited?  Also we may needs some
filling in there.

Really I'm a bit clueless here.  Looking for others to enlighten me.

>     4°/ Since we are going to rebuild a website, I think It could be a
>     good time for designing the logo for ADS. This way, we could
>     integrate these things together. If you're OK with that, I think my
>     friend will be pleased to propose us something, and I could maybe
>     have some proposals from other friends that makes some graphics arts
>     too.

Yeah the more logo options we can have the better.  Right now we have none.

> Yeah, let's start a logo contest on cwiki. This is the way to go !

Again I agree completely.  Stefan was talking about someone that might
help with a logo in the past.  I wonder what the status is on that.

Alex