directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary attributes
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:50:57 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while I'm writting some SyntaxCheckers, a question popped in my mind :
> do we still have to take care of binary attributes ? This is a list of
> attributes type which is set into server.xml to express the fact that
> those attributes are considered as binary, and not as text, thus their
> values are stored as byte[] insteado of UTF-8 Strings.

Those guys use a NoOpSyntax check that accepts everything. I think we
have one of those.  It's an AcceptAllSyntaxChecker or something like that.

If we had all syntax checkers in one place this would make it easier to
find out what SC we had.

> I guess we can relax a little bit the decoder checks by considering that
> all attribute values are byte[], and let the Schema Interceptor deal
> with badly written values, checking them with their associated Syntax.
>
> wdyt ?

IMO it is not required to check for syntax if the attribute is binary.

Alex