directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r491261 [1/8] - in /directory/sandbox/triplesec-jacc: ./ admin-api/ admin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ admin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/ admin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/triplesec/ admin-api/src/main/java/org/apache...
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:08:34 GMT

On Dec 30, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> David,
>
> Changing the package names in you jacc branch is not a good idea at
> this point int time because it obscures the real changes to the
> architecture that you've made for the JACC stuff.  Also if some
> things are not working already with integration tests you have
> introduced an extra variable when trying to figure out what's going
> wrong.

AFAICT the integration tests work the same before and after the
change: they all pass when I run them one at a time in my IDE (IDEA)
and mostly fail running through maven on the command line.

It seems to me that the main way this rename could make seeing
changes harder is if you try to compare sandbox/triplesec-jacc with
trunks/triplesec using svn diff.  However we could make that easy by
changing the packages in trunks/triplesec.  If you are looking at svn
commit messages I don't see how the change would affect you.

> Do you immediately need the package names to be o.a.d.t.xxx right
> now? I think this is more a finishing touch before we do a release
> and should itself be done in a branch.

I'd hope that it's done long before a release so any hidden problems
have time to surface.  Since it wasn't too hard (it took about an
hour including running the failing integration tests one by one in my
IDE) I don't quite see the point of doing in a branch.

> WDYT?

I'd rather change the packages on trunks/triplesec to make direct
comparisons easier than undo this change.  If what is now trunks/
triplesec ever gets released (rather than say copying triplesec-jacc
back to trunks) it will need this change anyway, so I'd rather move
that code line forward as well.  If you agree I'm happy to change the
packages there as well.

WDYT? :-)

many thanks
david jencks