directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers on Dependencies
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:29:05 GMT
OK - I think the lights are starting to turn on now.

If we put them in dependency management, they are not
automatically included, whereas if we put them in
dependencies, they are automatically included for all
children.

So if I were to write a best practice...

I could say that only dependency management should be
used in the parent, and dependencies should be
explicitly listed on each kid.

That way some of the kids don't end up with
dependencies they don't really need, and we have the
benefit of being able to update the version in one
place.

I'm leaning toward this as a best practice, because we
could have a build that has 3 modules and then we add
a 4th one, and if the parent had dependencies included
in the pom, the 4th module automatically gets them,
and maybe it didn't really want them.

Thoughts?

Thanks Greg,
- Ole