directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doxia
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:26:32 GMT

> On Nov 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>

> On 11/22/06, Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah - Actually - That should be really easy to fix.
> >
> > We need a "quality controlled" Maven Repository that
> > we ourselves populate and update.
>

> ohhhh yes !
>

> I think if you explicitly specify the version of every plugin you use you
> won't need this.  AFAIK existing published non-snapshot artifacts haven't
> ever changed.... no matter what grevious errors they may have.  So, if you
> explicitly say which version you want, you will continue to get it.

Very true.

Snapshot resolution is another question.

Yep.

So if something gets updated on the Maven project,
> > we're insulated from it.
>

> like if Maven was a bad virus :)
>

> Actually we don't care if something gets updated,
> > unless we have a bug that we know about and that we
> > need fixed.
>

> We should care a *lot* : this is what configuration management is all
> about ! We want to guarantee that the version x.y.z that use the plugin
> version A;B;C will still use this plugin version in 2 years.
>
> Then we pull the update and place it in
> > our repository.
> >
> > So we need to:
> >
> > Create the Repository
>

> YESSSSS !
>
> Host it (Alex? Da Haus?)
>

> The best solution would be to  have a local file system based repo (but
> maven does not support it). Otherwize, I have a server on which we can put
> the repo, and das haus could be another one, and people.apache.org is
> another solution
>

> maven does support local file system based repos,

I didn't found ny way to make it work. Do you have any pointer ?

we use a couple in the geronimo build for artifacts that aren't published.
> I'm not sure you can turn off access to the central repo however.

Running maven offline, may be ?

One confusing aspect is that an offline build can't access these local file
> system repos.

How stupid  ...

I guess I could host it as well as a backup....I'm
> > doing a controlled repository anyways...
> >
> > Reconfigure our Maven instances.
> >
> > Probably create our own maven installation, so that
> > future contributers get a Maven install that works
> > specifically for ADS.
>

> Not sure to get what yyou mean.
>
> And provide an additional configuration tutorial in
> > case they already have Maven...
>

> "they" = who ?
>

> Cutting yourselves off from maven updates will pretty much ensure that you
> continue using the current version of maven forever :-)

That's exactly what I want when I cut a release :)

complete with all its friendly bugs.

friendly = known :)

I'd try using plugin management in the root pom to specify the version of
> every plugin you use.

I did that for the plugin that was FU. It works.

thanks
> david jencks

Emmanuel