directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS partition implementation based on Relational Model
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:35:02 GMT
Hi Ole,

On 11/2/06, Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Ersin,
>
> <snip/>
> Personally I need to be able to go between an LDAP
> format, XML Schema format, and a relational format.

This will be possible really soon, at least from ldap to XML. Pam is
writting a DSML codec, so you will be able to extract data from LDAP and put
them in XML format (using DSML V2). You will also be able to send data to a
ldap server using DSML.

I'm planning on going with need a 4th representation
> of
> those  3, which will be Eclipse EMF Ecore (A subset of
> OMG's meta object facility).
>
> That way ecore is the common denominator.

At this point, I really think that DSML might be the perfect pivot
description, because LDIF is only representing data while DSML can express
operations. For instance, if you want to write a LDAP proxy, you can do that
with DSML requests and response (and the LdapStudio ldap browser is working
this way, so, yes, this is possible :). I don't think we need a 4th
description meta-stuff :) KISS, bros !

So the initial thinking is that ldap attributes will
> be mapped to attributes on an Ecore based model object
> (Just a pojo really supported by the Eclipse EMF API).
>
> The same Ecore model is used to generate the Hibernate
> mapping (Preferably using annotations).
>
> Then it's done.  Hibernate takes care of the rest.

Well, this is a vision which is not  taking into account the performance
issues you will have if you do that. I may be wrong - and I hope to be,
because this seems to be _so_ simple that I really want it to work -, but as
an old programmer, I don't believe in god or in 'snap your finger and the
tool will do the rest' thingy ... Yeah, I'm an agnostic old fart ;) Make me
believe in it : I want a working sample !

I still need to put this in complete context, adding
> in Alex's thoughts on virtual directories, etc.
>
> That's a little off though...after the rpm mojo gets
> done.

Yeah, that's seems pragmatic :) Thanks for the work done on RPM, man !

Cheers,
> - Ole

Emmanuel