directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Documentation] OpenDS has some nice docs
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:19:40 GMT
> Hiya,
>
> SUN's OpenDS has lots of nice documents, project plans and a great road
> map but little or no code behind the publicized features.  It looks very
> professionally structured even though the code is not very mature.
> Their marketing is solid.
>
> ApacheDS may be better designed, more mature, and may much more
> functionality/features but it is not represented nor documented properly.
>
> We should look into having a similar rich set of docs along with an
> aggressive road map or matrix.  Notice they do not say what they
> currently support, they just say they will support some things in the
> future.  I think we have an obligation to disclose both.
>
> This is not a competition but I recently heard (from a reliable source)
> that SUN management behind OpenDS is openly telling people at
> conferences that they are going to surpass ApacheDS very soon.  And
> according to this source, they state one of their clear advantages is
> the fact that they have better organization, and more importantly better
> documentation and an incredible road map.

Well, they have documentation, but I cannot say that they are really
informative documents. What they call the "Architecture Guide"
explains almost nothing for me. We are going good with documentation,
especially with Stefan's and Christine's efforts and we'll be in a
good position in a few months.

BTW, I liked their installation wizard.

--
Ersin