directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Directory Sync ?
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:44:39 GMT
Hi,

On 11/12/06, David Boreham <david@bozemanpass.com> wrote:

> I wish that there were an open source, expandable, LDAP
> sync engine. Something like a meta directory product is
> what I'm thinking of (MS has one, so do Novell and
> Sun although theirs are not actively marketed). There are
> a few other commercial products in this space too.
> AFAIK nothing like this exists in open-source-land.
>
> Problems such a thing would be good for solving :
>
> 1. Some user data is in some old crusty data store (Exchange 5.5,
> Windows NT4 domain controller, Peoplesoft...).
> We want to sync some subset of schema to/from the
> corporate LDAP service. Often the 'crusty data store'
> is something so strange that it only exists at one
> customer, and so custom code needs to be written to access it.
>
> 3. Customer has Active Directory (hard to avoid, even
> I have one!). But they really want to use a nice open
> source LDAP directory server. What to do : some
> DS'es have native Windows sync solutions, but not all
> (not Apache DS nor OpenLDAP).

BTW, not directly related but ApacheDS has full support for Kerberos
and Change Password protocols.

> 3. Federation of LDAP services (for DS products that
> do not have native federation, which is almost all of them).
> Company A does business with company B, they want
> some subset of their directory data sync'ed in two directions.
> This can't be done with replication, even if the two orgs use
> the same DS product, because replication implies too much
> common administration for two distinct organizations.

What about referrals?

> The thing I have in mind would have a pluggable connector
> architecture. It would have a general purpose module for
> correlating entries/records between sources. It would be able
> to abstract all the different client sync mechanisms that
> the different DS'es support (DirSync for Active Directory,
> persistent search for FDS, syncrepl for OL, etc).

Again BTW, ApacheDS has support for Persistent Search too.

> Java seems like a good implementation language given
> the lack of a high performance requirement for the task,
> and the ease with which plugins can be deployed cross platform
> (and also good database connectivity).
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Anyone interested in working on such a thing ?

We have thoughts on virtual directories and views for LDAP. Not in the
very near future, but we'll introduce some facilities like you
mentioned. And also replication is hopefully coming with the next
release. You may futher detail your requirements so we can use them to
form our roadmap.

Thanks.

--
Ersin