directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: Windows LDAP Clients Hanging - DS 1.0
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:12:46 GMT

SimonT

27 November 2006 14:16
To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>
cc:
From: "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecharny@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Windows LDAP Clients Hanging - DS 1.0

On 11/27/06, Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com < Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com> wrote:
Emmanuel

The client is a windows program called ldp v3 (it uses wldap32.dll).

Its here: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/utilities/ldp.htm

You are correct, it is performing a search for rootDSE.

On the subject of test cases.  I found that I could not build directory-shared becuase \shared\0.9.5\ldap\src\test
has references to a Java 1.5 class :-(

Sh!t ! Which class ?

To clarify, the server is *not* hanging... the client is hanging, waiting for a response to
the search.

Hmmm... I think that may be the client receive a response that doesn't make the client happy.
Requesting for rootDSE is something we know works. Could you try LdapStudio ? It's a project
which contains a Ldapbrowser (not finished yet, but starting to work) :

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/pamarcelot/ldapstudio

You will need to install ant 1.6.5 plus install the ivy-1.4.1.jar library in ANT_HOME/lib
to be able to build it.

To build LdapStudio : just type 'ant' (yeah :)

The result will be in target/Ldap Studio/Ldap Studio

You will be able to request rootDSE with this tool without any pb.

If I can help anymore, please ask.

I'm pretty sure that the client (ldp V3) is by no mean the best ever... Except if you really
have to send requests in batch mode. Just try the very same request with LdapBrowser and JExplorer,
and tell me if it's better.

Emmanuel