directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Doxia
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:27:34 GMT

On Nov 22, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 11/22/06, Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah - Actually - That should be really easy to fix.
>
> We need a "quality controlled" Maven Repository that
> we ourselves populate and update.
>
> ohhhh yes !

I think if you explicitly specify the version of every plugin you use
you won't need this.  AFAIK existing published non-snapshot artifacts
haven't ever changed.... no matter what grevious errors they may
have.  So, if you explicitly say which version you want, you will
continue to get it.

Snapshot resolution is another question.

> So if something gets updated on the Maven project,
> we're insulated from it.
>
> like if Maven was a bad virus :)
>

> Actually we don't care if something gets updated,
> unless we have a bug that we know about and that we
> need fixed.
>
> We should care a *lot* : this is what configuration management is
> all about ! We want to guarantee that the version x.y.z that use
> the plugin version A;B;C will still use this plugin version in 2
> years.
>
> Then we pull the update and place it in
> our repository.
>
> So we need to:
>
> Create the Repository
>

> YESSSSS !
>
> Host it (Alex? Da Haus?)
>
> The best solution would be to  have a local file system based repo
> (but maven does not support it). Otherwize, I have a server on
> which we can put the repo, and das haus could be another one, and
> people.apache.org is another solution

maven does support local file system based repos, we use a couple in
the geronimo build for artifacts that aren't published.  I'm not sure
you can turn off access to the central repo however.  One confusing
aspect is that an offline build can't access these local file system
repos.

> I guess I could host it as well as a backup....I'm
> doing a controlled repository anyways...
>
> Reconfigure our Maven instances.
>
> Probably create our own maven installation, so that
> future contributers get a Maven install that works
> specifically for ADS.
>
> Not sure to get what yyou mean.
>
> And provide an additional configuration tutorial in
> case they already have Maven...
>
> "they" = who ?

Cutting yourselves off from maven updates will pretty much ensure
that you continue using the current version of maven forever :-)
complete with all its friendly bugs.
I'd try using plugin management in the root pom to specify the
version of every plugin you use.

thanks
david jencks