directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:21:43 GMT
Incidentally I found this project:

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard

Its focus is on Standardized wiki markup and easing
transition and learning between various markup
semantics.

One of the things it mentions is using a "Lowest
Common Denominator" set of tags to ease transition,
which we may want to consider.

True we can just write a parser for the cwiki and map
it to whatever, but this could end up being a bigger
than anticipated project with (special mapping rules
to account for various differences in the way
submitters wrote the doco) if at some point in the
future we wanted to convert format.

Some documentation automation should be a requirement
I think...like automating "Figures" numbering, heading
numbers, etc., if we are using these.

One way to approach this is for each one of us to try
to write down some documentation conventions that we
are following when writing the documentation.

If we all use a template page for this we could find a
common intersection that everyone agrees upon.

Another thing to consider is having standardized
templates for writing on specific topics.

Like a cookbook type template with standardized
headings.

This makes it really easy for someone to writeup a
topic really quick without really having to thing
about markup or what the markup semantics should be.

wdyt?