directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Doxia
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:13:54 GMT
Incidentally, another thing that would be really nice
to have is a "Public" project patch subversion area
where anyone could check in patches to various
projects (Including documentation), and then we could
just review it and apply patches...

--- Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Maven has a project called Doxia.  There's no doco
> yet...but it looks like it's good at translating
> between various formats.  I'll play with it a little
> to find out more.
>
> Here's an description from Eric Redmond:
>

> You're correct, it is a generic documentation
> framework, allowing one
> write documents in one markup (xdoc, APT, etc) and
> generate something
> else
> (HTML, PDF). It does this through the "sink"
> mechanism... any markup
> can
> output to the sink API (defined as modules), and
> thus
> may render to any
> supported type (via renderers).
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/trunk/
>
> Unfortunately no, it is not documented. But it is
> built into the Maven
> site
> generation, which you can use via the normal
> constructs - APT, XDoc.
>

> So it sounds like this could give us the flexibility
> we need to easily generate other content formats
> using
> our current documentation efforts...
>
> My end goal is to have a Cookbook document on how we
> could achieve this within the scope of our current
> documentation efforts.  I'll get it done asap.
>
> A short version would be something like:
>
> Create pure documentation maven projects.
>
> Each one focusing on a specific subset of the
> documentation effort (So that each project is easy
> check out and the guidelines for writing the docs
> can
> be absorbed quickly).
>
> Put all documentation in standard templates.
>
> Check the documentation projects into subversion.
>
> Have a Maven plugin that pulls in all the
> documentation
> projects and generates various documents like a PDF
> book, Cookbook, An online HTML book, etc.  As well
> as
> various views of the same content...for instance
> cookbook topic index, etc.
>
> I think this should be easy to do with Doxia...Gotta
> get under the hood a little though.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ole

> Sponsored Link
>
> Rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Loan for $1399/mo.
> Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
www.nextag.com