directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [Documentation] OpenDS has some nice docs
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:36:21 GMT
Hiya,

SUN's OpenDS has lots of nice documents, project plans and a great road
map but little or no code behind the publicized features.  It looks very
professionally structured even though the code is not very mature.
Their marketing is solid.

ApacheDS may be better designed, more mature, and may much more
functionality/features but it is not represented nor documented properly.

We should look into having a similar rich set of docs along with an
aggressive road map or matrix.  Notice they do not say what they
currently support, they just say they will support some things in the
future.  I think we have an obligation to disclose both.

This is not a competition but I recently heard (from a reliable source)
that SUN management behind OpenDS is openly telling people at
conferences that they are going to surpass ApacheDS very soon.  And
according to this source, they state one of their clear advantages is
the fact that they have better organization, and more importantly better
documentation and an incredible road map.

I think we can learn from their professional approach to documentation.

Alex