directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Content for ApacheDS documentation
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:26:07 GMT
Ersin Er wrote:
> Well, although content like "Partitions" or "Subentries" are advanced
> ones, they are still user related topics. Developer's Guide is related
> to content which is really about developing ApacheDS itself, not
> develoing advanced plugins for it nor using advanced features.
>
> So my proposal is:
>
> * Basic User's Guide
> * Advanced User's Guide
> * Developer's Guide

This sounds good to me.

> While I am writing these I am also having trouble.. Because ApacheDS
> has lots of aspects like advanced X.500 based administration or
> embedding (which is summarized in the presentation by Alex).
>
> Now what is most important is a Beginner's Guide for basic directory
> operations using ApacheDS. And unfortunately we have a Lot to write
> after that.. :)

How about me ans Christine concentrating an the Basic User's Guide.
Primary audience from my point of view are people with little (or no)
LDAP knowledge, who want to get started with ApacheDS. We can move most
of content from the Tutorial to this guide.

>> It is very important that we soon have the option to present the content
>> on the directory.apache.org site, because the current site is a mess.
>> The way Trustin publishes the MINA content looks sufficient to me.
>
> You will soon see the http://directory.apache.org/TEST site with
> content from DIRxSITE space. I think it takes a while for the web
> server to syncronize with people.a.o.

It is online now. At least the image I added yesterday is visible.

>> Is it possible to publish several spaces this way, Ersin? In this case,
>> we can move the toplevel content from the site to cwiki ("Apache
>> Directory Website" space), and switch to it.
>
> I think DIRxSITE space can be the entry point. We can combine all
> content under that space and export it.

This sounds good to me as well, +1.

Greetings, Stefan