directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Content for ApacheDS documentation
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:16:41 GMT
Ersin, Christine (+others),

I would like to reorganize the documentation of ApacheDS 1.0 a bit.
Currently, we have three "documents":

(1) User's Guide
(2) Developer's Guide
(3) Tutorial

 From my point of view, we only need documentation for two audiences
(users with different skill sets, developers). Our current User's guide
is inappropriate for beginners, and the tutorial is incomplete. Thus I
plan to combine the content of (1) and (3), and move advanced topics
from (1) to (2) (the developer's guide is currently nearly empty).

The first part of the User's Guide should work as a entry point for
beginners in the future. Christine has already depicted a possible
structure, which might act as a starting point for a discussion here:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/The+Apache+Directory+Tutorial

My next steps:
- Define target groups for User's Guide and Developer's Guide.
- Create High Level Table of contents for both
- Assess available content and move it to the different guides
- Concentrate on areas which painfully lack documentation and create
content

It is very important that we soon have the option to present the content
on the directory.apache.org site, because the current site is a mess.
The way Trustin publishes the MINA content looks sufficient to me.

Is it possible to publish several spaces this way, Ersin? In this case,
we can move the toplevel content from the site to cwiki ("Apache
Directory Website" space), and switch to it.

What do you think?

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan