directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Symbol ideas for the logo?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 23:14:21 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a have question from a designer I asked some weeks ago, whether she is
> interested to participate in ourlogo contest.
>
> She asked for a symbol which would be suitable for the software. A
> feather, although nice, is a little bit overused, she meant. Btw. she
> basically has no idea, what an LDAP/directory server is.
>
> One of my ideas was to use a woman/girl with an apple/snake to resemble
> the old "Eve" name of the software, but this would be for insiders only
> and the symbol would not have any conjunction with our software.

Yeah good point.  Funny thing is I was thinking about something similar
when the old Eve name was there.

> The designer has already presented me a proposal which uses a highly
> simplified computer chip as a symbol. Despite the fact that our software
> has not that much to do with chips, the logo works perfectly to
> underline our embeddable aspect.

Can she put up here logos into confluence or can you do it for her? This
way we can all comment on it and give her feedback.

> Does anybody have a good idea which symbol would best work for our
> software, or which aspect (like embeddable) would be interesting to cite
> with the logo?

Here's a few odd ideas off the top of my head:

1). an upside-down tree
2). fractal of a tree growing downward
3). a hatchet with feathers on it (used for scalping by American Indians)
http://www.geocities.com/sileagle1/Clue/Tomahawk/tomahawk.jpg

4). ahhhh an American Indian tee pee with nodes (or feathers) in the teepee
See
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:hyUDlGm21q04qM:http://www.goses.org/IMAGES/Teepee.jpg

5). A picture of stefan zoerner :)

Ok I ran out of ideas fast.