directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Status of Apache Directory
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:45:35 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Hi all,

Hi Alex,

> Lately some things have been slowing down and I just want to see were
> we are and who is working on what.  Who is still around :)?

Well, I guess this is quite normal after a release, as everybody was
quite under pressure and need to recover a little bit :) (at least, this
was true for me)

> With the recent emergence of MINA from the Directory TLP to be its own
> TLP I think it's a good time to recap on what's going on and the
> current state of affairs.

> 1). New Code Imports
> 2). Documentation and Site
> 3). 1.5.x Branch Roadmap
> 4). OSGi Plan
> 5). Community Growth
>
> ================
> New Code Imports
> ================
>
> Mitosis
> -------
>
> We just imported mitosis into the ADS 1.5.x branch.  Mitosis is a
> multimaster replication module that Trustin Lee wrote for ApacheDS a
> while back while working with my company Solarsis Group.  Solarsis
> contributed the source to the ASF and all IP has been cleared.
>
> We imported this code but we're working on better integrating it.  It
> now compiles and we're trying to test it to see if it still works
> after the 1.0 release.
>
> We're working with Trustin to transfer as much of the knowledge he has
> to others on the project currently so others can work in it besides
> just Trustin, Emmanuel, and I.
>
> Mitosis needs lots of work. Refactoring and testing under heavy load.
>
> So volunteers are welcome!

I volunteer, but I won't lead the effort ;)

> Triplesec
> ---------
>
> An identity management solution built on top of ApacheDS.  Right now
> tsec has had all documentation and IP cleared for import and it's ready.
>
> I just have not had the time to move it over and change the package
> names.
>
> Not only this but I have to revamp the schema which is a mess and make
> sure we use Apache Enterprise numbers instead of safehaus ones.  So
> there is a lot of work that needs to be done here.
>
> WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

I volunteer to, but I must admit that it won't be my first priority. The
main problem with Triplesec is that it's a plain new piece of software,
and we need to understand how it works. However, I already changed all
the headers, and I think that a full code review (I mean, check for
javadoc, coding rules respect, etc is the best solution to jump into the
code)

> ==========================
> Documentation and the Site
> ==========================
>
> We're in really sad shape here.  Almost everything is well out of date
> and we need to revamp the site to include all the documentation that
> we have in the ASF confluence which now has all the stuff which was at
> Safehaus.
>
> We need someone to take the lead here.  Ersin? Stefan?

Yeah, we badly need someone to take the lead on this ! Men, the site and
doco sucks ... (ok, may be not that much, but we have bits into xml
files, bits in moin-moin, bit on safehaus, bits on cwiki, we need to
reorganize the whole stuff). At this point, a book may be a good idea,
because not only it will be a great thing to have, but also because it
will bring some structuration to our doco...

> ====================
> 1.5.x Branch Roadmap
> ====================
>
> a) refactor
>     i) cleanup jndi code
>     ii) cleanup intercepted methods
>     iii) introduce new request context object
>     iv) introduce a session object
>     v) cleanup misuse of next interceptor and nexus and use
> the         proper bypass instructions
>     vi) hierarchical partitioning

I will add "inclusion of dynamic schema", using the code provided by
Norval. This is really painfull to use a plugin to add a new schema ...
The codec need to be reviewed too.

> b) features
>
>     i) Triggers
>     ii) Better sandbox (security) for stored procedures
>     iii) SASL
>     iv) DSML Service
>     v) Web Interface
>     vi) Transactions
>     vii) Quartz integration

And LdapStudio (pam is working on it), JMX -if we don't have OSGI on the
first place -,better logging etc...

> Refactor
> --------
>
> We need a clear roadmap to be defined for the 1.5.x developmental
> branch.  I agree with Trustin that we need to seriously refactor some
> nasty JNDI code out of the core to clean it up.

Ohhhh yeah !

> First I think we should refactor the code to better organize it.  Then
> we need to think about whether or not we're going to cleanup
> intercepted methods and introduce a session and request (Context)
> objects instead of each interceptor method having a bunch of arguments.
>
> In some places we use the next interceptor or the nexus directly
> instead of using the proper bypass instructions.  With mitosis this
> will be a problem so we need to cleanup and use this code properly.
>
> We need to make it so several nexus' can exist and that the nexus
> itself can store entries.

The first step would be to have a betyter doc. I have started a cwiki
page about interceptors, but it's far from being finished ...

> Features
> --------
>
> Next we need to think about features that are to be added and
> completed in this branch.  Some things have already started but are
> half complete like the trigger implementation.  We need a time table
> for that.  We also need a good sandbox for code executed as stored
> procedures.
>
> I talked to Trustin about implementing SASL and we think we can shoot
> for implementing this feature soon after some refactoring of the core.
>
> Looks like PAM Is working on some DSML code and he would like to
> integrate it into the core.  PAM please start working in the sandbox
> with your code right before attempting this merge.
>
> For DSML and a web based configuration console both at start up for
> the initial configs and on going configuration we can embed Jetty and
> have a web console like the one that is in Tsec.
>
> Transactions anyone? These are not transactions across multiple LDAP
> operations.  These are transactions that make it so we can recover
> easily on abrupt shutdowns and to make all operations atomic.  This is
> a serious issue with triggers.
>
> We need quartz integration and should pull it out of the mitosis code.
> We need to do certain time triggered tasks and it makes sense to have it.

We also need a memory partition, and a reorganization of the current
backend structure. We have a lot of gain to expect from this part. We
may need to review the way we serialize data into the backend, it's far
from being optimal.

> =========
> OSGi Plan
> =========
>
> I have no idea what is going on with the OSGi work.  It seems like
> John Conlon is the only one left working on it now.
>
> There are no updates to the community and very little knowledge
> sharing about this.  We need more status on this if anything.

Who is leading this OSGI stuff ?

> ================
> Community Growth
> ================
>
> We're still a small community even though we just added 7-8 new
> committers.  Not many stuck around it seems but it may be too early to
> tell.
>
> I'd like to see an effort to increase the number of active committers
> on this project.  Everyone should help think about how we can do this.
>
> More people are welcome as usual.

yeah ! We will do our best to help newcommer. Any mail will be quickly
answered (yes, it will !) and as said somebody in USA (don't remember
who, gosh ... ;)  : "No one will be left behind".

Emmanuel