directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [IMPORTANT] Status of Apache Directory
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:14:55 GMT
Hi all,

Lately some things have been slowing down and I just want to see were we
are and who is working on what.  Who is still around :)?

With the recent emergence of MINA from the Directory TLP to be its own
TLP I think it's a good time to recap on what's going on and the current
state of affairs.

1). New Code Imports
2). Documentation and Site
3). 1.5.x Branch Roadmap
4). OSGi Plan
5). Community Growth

================
New Code Imports
================

Mitosis
-------

We just imported mitosis into the ADS 1.5.x branch.  Mitosis is a
multimaster replication module that Trustin Lee wrote for ApacheDS a
while back while working with my company Solarsis Group.  Solarsis
contributed the source to the ASF and all IP has been cleared.

We imported this code but we're working on better integrating it.  It
now compiles and we're trying to test it to see if it still works after
the 1.0 release.

We're working with Trustin to transfer as much of the knowledge he has
to others on the project currently so others can work in it besides just
Trustin, Emmanuel, and I.

Mitosis needs lots of work. Refactoring and testing under heavy load.

So volunteers are welcome!

Triplesec
---------

An identity management solution built on top of ApacheDS.  Right now
tsec has had all documentation and IP cleared for import and it's ready.

I just have not had the time to move it over and change the package names.

Not only this but I have to revamp the schema which is a mess and make
sure we use Apache Enterprise numbers instead of safehaus ones.  So
there is a lot of work that needs to be done here.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

==========================
Documentation and the Site
==========================

We're in really sad shape here.  Almost everything is well out of date
and we need to revamp the site to include all the documentation that we
have in the ASF confluence which now has all the stuff which was at
Safehaus.

We need someone to take the lead here.  Ersin? Stefan?

====================
1.5.x Branch Roadmap
====================

a) refactor
	i) cleanup jndi code
	ii) cleanup intercepted methods
	iii) introduce new request context object
	iv) introduce a session object
	v) cleanup misuse of next interceptor and nexus and use the 		proper
bypass instructions
	vi) hierarchical partitioning

b) features

	i) Triggers
	ii) Better sandbox (security) for stored procedures
	iii) SASL
	iv) DSML Service
	v) Web Interface
	vi) Transactions
	vii) Quartz integration

Refactor
--------

We need a clear roadmap to be defined for the 1.5.x developmental
branch.  I agree with Trustin that we need to seriously refactor some
nasty JNDI code out of the core to clean it up.

First I think we should refactor the code to better organize it.  Then
we need to think about whether or not we're going to cleanup intercepted
methods and introduce a session and request (Context) objects instead of
each interceptor method having a bunch of arguments.

In some places we use the next interceptor or the nexus directly instead
of using the proper bypass instructions.  With mitosis this will be a
problem so we need to cleanup and use this code properly.

We need to make it so several nexus' can exist and that the nexus itself
can store entries.

Features
--------

Next we need to think about features that are to be added and completed
in this branch.  Some things have already started but are half complete
like the trigger implementation.  We need a time table for that.  We
also need a good sandbox for code executed as stored procedures.

I talked to Trustin about implementing SASL and we think we can shoot
for implementing this feature soon after some refactoring of the core.

Looks like PAM Is working on some DSML code and he would like to
integrate it into the core.  PAM please start working in the sandbox
with your code right before attempting this merge.

For DSML and a web based configuration console both at start up for the
initial configs and on going configuration we can embed Jetty and have a
web console like the one that is in Tsec.

Transactions anyone? These are not transactions across multiple LDAP
operations.  These are transactions that make it so we can recover
easily on abrupt shutdowns and to make all operations atomic.  This is a
serious issue with triggers.

We need quartz integration and should pull it out of the mitosis code.
We need to do certain time triggered tasks and it makes sense to have it.

=========
OSGi Plan
=========

I have no idea what is going on with the OSGi work.  It seems like John
Conlon is the only one left working on it now.

There are no updates to the community and very little knowledge sharing
about this.  We need more status on this if anything.

Community Growth

We're still a small community even though we just added 7-8 new
committers.  Not many stuck around it seems but it may be too early to tell.

I'd like to see an effort to increase the number of active committers on
this project.  Everyone should help think about how we can do this.

More people are welcome as usual.

Alex