directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Boreham <david_l...@boreham.org>
Subject Re: ApacheDS partition implementation based on Relational Model
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:46:45 GMT

>>> The simplest way to do it is to construct tables that look just like
>>> the
>>> b-tree relations used in a custom LDAP data store. However this doesn't
>>> goal achieve #2 above.
>>

>> Can you explain this more?
>

> Basically he's saying model the db like you do the jdbm tables in the
> ldbm rip off we use for the default backing store.

Right, there's a schema impedance mismatch. Goal #2 would want to take some
random table that has columns for 'employee ID' , 'first name', 'last
name' and 'manager' for example
and make that stuff show up as LDAP entries. Using the RDBMS mapping
approach outlined above
the tables wouldn't look at all like that. They'd all have only two
columns for example. Both
columns would contain data that to a first approximation would be
gibberish to a regular
RDBMS client application.