directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:11:21 GMT
One more example consideration that Stefan mentioned.

The Content needs to go from the wiki to the main
apache site...eventually...

How does this process happen?

It should have some simple rules so that it could be
automated.

So if all the content is captured in a standardized
content model, it makes this easy.

In order for this to happen there needs to be content
model that backs up templates we are using.

There can be mini content models ... one per template.

This lets us focus on each template and how to map it
to the target media we want the content to go to.

This also lets us focus documentation guidelines on a
template, thus minimizing the amount of effort spent
learning to write documentation with a specific goal.

So if we do this we maintain maximum flexibility for
future content mapping and transformation
requirements, and we end up with easy to write and
manage documentation.

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard

> > > Its focus is on Standardized wiki markup and
> > easing
> > > transition and learning between various markup
> > > semantics.
> > >
> > > One of the things it mentions is using a "Lowest
> > > Common Denominator" set of tags to ease
> > transition,
> > > which we may want to consider.
> > >
> > > True we can just write a parser for the cwiki
> and
> > map
> > > it to whatever, but this could end up being a
> > bigger
> > > than anticipated project with (special mapping
> > rules
> > > to account for various differences in the way
> > > submitters wrote the doco) if at some point in
> the
> > > future we wanted to convert format.
> > >
> > > Some documentation automation should be a
> > requirement
> > > I think...like automating "Figures" numbering,
> > heading
> > > numbers, etc., if we are using these.
> > >
> > > One way to approach this is for each one of us
> > try
> > > to write down some documentation conventions
> that
> > we
> > > are following when writing the documentation.
> > >
> > > If we all use a template page for this we could
> > find a
> > > common intersection that everyone agrees upon.
> > >
> > > Another thing to consider is having standardized
> > > templates for writing on specific topics.
> > >
> > > Like a cookbook type template with standardized
> > > headings.
> > >
> > > This makes it really easy for someone to writeup
> > > topic really quick without really having to
> thing
> > > about markup or what the markup semantics should
> > be.
> > >
> > > wdyt?

> use
> > markup

> <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com>

=== message truncated ===

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre