directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS partition implementation based on Relational Model
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:18:54 GMT
Hey Emmanuel,

How did you get the sexy vertical lines in the reply?
Way better than all the >>>

Are you using thunderbird?

--- Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ole,
>
> On 11/2/06, Ole Ersoy <ole_ersoy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ersin,
> >
> > <snip/>
> > Personally I need to be able to go between an LDAP
> > format, XML Schema format, and a relational
> format.
>
> This will be possible really soon, at least from
> ldap to XML. Pam is
> writting a DSML codec, so you will be able to
> extract data from LDAP and put
> them in XML format (using DSML V2). You will also be
> able to send data to a
> ldap server using DSML.

That's really sweet.
Here's one of the use cases I want to support for
generating applications (Note that for virtual
directories there will probably at least another use
case):

A)
First create a model that gets translated into Ecore
(XMI).  This is the Model part of an MVC architecture,
but it's generic and can map to XML, Relational, LDAP,
whattevva,..etc.
B)
Translate the Ecore XMI into a java model (Beans) for
in Memory Persistance (Incidentally Ecore is also used
to Generate Service Data Objects (SDO) - The purpose
of SDO is to unify data programming...Like JDO...but
using Ecore Meta Data as the driver....
C)
Generate the Schema for the persistance solution used
(Relational, LDAP, xml, whatevva)
Note that with Hibernate if you generate the hibernate
configuration file, Hibernate can then generate the
Relational Schema for you.  There's already projects
doing this that can be found in the Eclipse EMF
Corner...on the Eclipse EMF site.

So DSML is cool because if Ecore can be used to
generate DSML and then PAM can be used as the driver
to go from DSML to LDIF and back...which means the
result can be imported back into a Ecore generated
Java model...if I understand correctly.

I hope to have some samples worked up soon, just gotta
get this JPackage plugin out the do!

Cheers,
- Ole

(http://voice.yahoo.com)