directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fetching Artifacts From the Repository
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:59:50 GMT
Aye that makes sense.  So you want to stuff things
> into the
> src/main/resources area so they are bundled in jars
> and can be extracted
> from them once those jars are pulled down from
> ibiblio or elsewhere?

Yap,

So when the documentation for including the RPM Plugin
in a build is created, in there it will say that the
plugin fetches all the install files from the
repository, so everything has to be in Maven standard
directories.

That motivates projects to use the conventions
provided by Maven.

So Maven just stuffs everything in the Jar.

The Plugin writes the Spec file per the configuration
instructions provided in a install.xml file and puts
it in the $rpmbuildenvironment/SPECS directory.

Then it invokes

rpm -ba somedaemon.spec

The commands for extracting
and building the install layout are in the spec file.

So really maven is done, and RPM takes care of the
rest.

- Ole

--- Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Ole Ersoy wrote:
> > Yes I think what I'm saying is getting diluted
> because
> > you are used to thinking about how the current
> > installer plugin works.
> >
> > OK - Pretend for a minute that there are no
> installer
> > plugins.  We are just getting started.
>
> Okie.
>
> > All we have are maven java projects.
> >
> > Now we want to create a maven plugin that
> > that we can use to create the RPM installer.
> >
> > However other projects have to be able to use it
> to,
> > and we want everyone using it the same way to make
> > cross project collaboration easier, etc.
> >
> > So we first make a generic decision with respect
> > where the stuff the installer installs comes from.
>
> OK
>
> > We think that it's smart to pull all the resources
> > that the installer plugin needs from the maven
> > repository, because that's where Maven puts
> everything
> > after various quality assurance tests pass.
>
> Hmmm even non-java artifacts like shared libs and
> stuff?  Meaning things
> where the extension is not .jar or .pom?  Cuz maven
> has serious issues
> with doing that I think.  Don't know fully though
> but I'd give it a try.
>
> > So as as a rule we state that the Maven plugin we
> are
> > creating pulls resources and artifacts from the
> > Repository only.  We're going with the Maven
> > Convention over configuration motto.
>
> Coolio but you have to really experiment with maven
> to see if it can
> manage other artifact types besides jars and poms.
>
> > So the plugin does not care about stuff that
> exists in
> > maven projects sitting in a workspace or in a
> version
> > control system.
> >
> > It only cares about stuff that maven has installed
> in
> > a local maven repository.
> >
> > Does that make more sense?
>
> Aye that makes sense.  So you want to stuff things
> into the
> src/main/resources area so they are bundled in jars
> and can be extracted
> from them once those jars are pulled down from
> ibiblio or elsewhere?
>
> Alex

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
(http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)