directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:48:30 GMT
Hey Guys,

I think one of the goals for our documentation
should be to separate the formatting and the content,
so that content can easily be reformatted / sliced
diced...
thus we maximize our content management flexibility.

I thought this could be accomplished by just using
wiki markup as the markup standard.

So I started reading up on wiki markup.  It turns out
there's different wiki markup conventions.

For instance Confluence uses

h1.
h2.
etc.

for sections.

The mozilla wiki and I think most other wikis use

==Section1==
===SubSection1===

For sections.

So say down the road we want to turn our documentation
into XML for whatever reason.

Do we need to write a special confluence wiki markup
parser now?

Right now is a good time to put some thought into how
we markup our documentation, before we have a mountain
of it :-)

Does anyone know of an easy to use "Universal" markup
standard?

I think we are trying to get this on confluence, so
ideally it would be easy to integrate the two.

Can we upload regular html pages into confluence for
display?

If so we can use whatever markup we please and just
upload the pages.

Personally I'd like to see all documentation in
something like the Eclipse Help System, which is easy
to search and well organized.

Cheers,
- Ole

Sponsored Link