directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning scheme
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:45:21 GMT

> I tried to sum up some of the recent conversations here:
>

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/directory/Version+Numbering+Scheme
>
> If I messed anything up please correct me.

"Some consider bumping the minor number several notches from say a 1.0 to a
1.5 for example to connotate a change in platform like switching from JDK
1.4 to JDK 5.0. This is also an acceptable tactic to employ."

I would rather start from 2.1 than from 1.5 because it shows that it has a
big change more clearly.  But we lose 2.0. That's why I talked about
switching the meaning of even and odd. :)

"Minor numbers are used to connotate changes to features and APIs in the
product with minor changes which may or may not introduce compatibility
issues."

'May or may not' sounds too ambiguous.  Could you clarify it?

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6