directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning scheme
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:28:45 GMT

> IMHO, switching to Java 5 deserve a special number, and to follow what
> has been done by tomcat team, it seems to be a good idea to switch to
> 1.5, just to be able to tell : "the current version is using Java 5".

Do we move to 1.6 or 2.6 when we move to Java 6?

An question could be : "will mina+java5 be stable or not?". If the
> answer is "yes", then you should use 2.0 instead of 1.5. Major versions
> are supposed to bring huge refactoring, with potentially API breakage
> and modification. If you are using java 5, this will likely be the case,
> except if you decide to use Java 5 just to get rid of backported code.

That 2.0 *can't* be 'stable' but our versioning scheme says its stable.
That's the point of my idea.

So, to gather my opinion, here is what I think :
> - If you want to switch to Java 5 with no change in the API, in order to
> get rid of backported code, then 1.5 is the number

We won't do this.  Anyway, Alex told me that the change of the platform
means increasing major version number.  WDYT, Alex?

- If you want to use Java 5 features, like enum, generics, concurrence,
> then it should be a 2.0

Again, 2.0 means 'stable' from '0', but it can't be stable because it is the
first release in the new major version number.

Btw, I think that 1.1, 1.2, etc ... should not change the 1.0 API. If I
> check out the trunk, I can see that some classes have been deleted, and
> some methods have been changed. Please use "deprecated" tag, this is
> exactly what it is good for. If you need to change the existing API,
> then do it in a 2.0 trunk, not in a 1.x trunk. It will be more and more
> important as many people will use Mina...

It's not what we have been doing so far and we didn't create our initial
versioning scheme to work in the manner you are saying.  For example, 1.2and
1.3 can have very different API and feature set.  But 1.2 and 1.2.1 will
have the same API and the same features.  Of course, if the API design is so
great, then 1.2 and 1.4 will have the same API but different features.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6