directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Versioning scheme
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:55:13 GMT
Hi all,

For now we are using an even/odd versioining scheme with three components (
major.minor.micro)  An even minor version means stable, and an odd minor
version means unstable.  I think this even/odd separation is a great idea,
but it puts us in a big trouble when we bump up tje major version number.
MINA is a good example.  MINA is going to move to Java 5, and thus its major
version number should be 2 (i.e. 2.0.0), but we can't go to 2.0 because the
minor version number 0 means 'stable'.  So we are talking about using the
version number 1.5 or 1.9, but I think it's very weird because we've changed
our platform.

Is there any good idea to solve this problem?  My current idea is to switch
the meaning of even and odd numbers (i.e. Even = unstable, Odd = stable).  I
think this is more natural because 2.0 can't be stable.  Most people thinks
2.1 is much more stablized version.  But there might be different cultural
background among Asians and Americans/Europeans, so I'm not sure if this
idea will work fine for everyone.

WDYT?

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6