directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] memory issues
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:24:04 GMT
Hi Colin,

MINA has its own mailing list.  Please send an empty message to
mina-dev-subscribe@directory.apache.org to subscribe to the list, and send
your question to mina-dev@directory.apache.org from the next time.

On 10/18/06, Colin Koeck <ckoeck@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from netty2 to mina, and noticed mina is much more
> stable which I am very happy about.  However, it seems to be a memory hog
> which concerns me a little.  I'm trying to push about 75,000 messages, each
> about 400 characters in length, through a client/server architecture using
> mina..and the software throws a OutOfMemoryError about half-way through.
> The only way I got it to successfully finish was to execute the software
> with -Xmx1000M!

You will have to increase your direct buffer memory.  Please refer to our
FAQ page.:

http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/faq.html#connection-reset

I think it might be a good idea to use heap buffers by default.  What do you
think, everyone?

I'm going to profile the software later this week, but I'm wondering if the
> results I got with mina are expected, and if there is any way to cut corners
> and use less memory with mina.  I'd appreciate it if anyone has any input on
> the subject.  Thank you.

Please let us know whenever you have any idea to improve MINA.  All ideas
will be appreciated.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6