directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning scheme
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:29:02 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> I thought I knew what was going on and could depend on the Linux way
> of versioning however it seems they are changing things as well
> lately. Take a look at this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
>
> Oh specifically look at the version numbering section.

Well, Linux and MINA/ADS are a little bit different ! I wish we are as
stable and used than Linux, but sadly we don't have 5 millions users in
the world. I know, I know, it's just a question of a few centuries :)

4 digits seems a little bit overkilling, but, on the other side, the
idea of "quick fixes" seems good. But is this needed? httpd server does
not use this scheme, and we have now three versions of it :
- httpd 1.3.37
- httpd 2.0.59
- httpd 2.2.3

and it also make sense : each time a security issue is found or a
serious bug is discovered, httpd deliver an new bug fix. They also use
the odd/even numbering, and their major number is clearly a major
refactpring of the server design, while minor numbers are functionnality
modification.

As we are Apache people, why do we have to follow Linux rules when
Apache "de-facto" rules seems ok ? Not that I think that those linux
guys are stupid, not at all, but their project is one or two order of
magnitude more complex than ours, and may deserve a more complex
versionning scheme. IMHO ...

Hey, this is just my opinion, and I will follow any rules which will be
chosen by the community ! :)

Emmanuel