directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning scheme
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:18:18 GMT
Hi Trustin,

IMHO, switching to Java 5 deserve a special number, and to follow what
has been done by tomcat team, it seems to be a good idea to switch to
1.5, just to be able to tell : "the current version is using Java 5".

Now, I don't think that it is a problem to use an odd number like 1.5,
because the trunks will become 1.1, i.e an unstable version. So as 1.1
and 1.5 are both odd, it's ok.

An question could be : "will mina+java5 be stable or not?". If the
answer is "yes", then you should use 2.0 instead of 1.5. Major versions
are supposed to bring huge refactoring, with potentially API breakage
and modification. If you are using java 5, this will likely be the case,
except if you decide to use Java 5 just to get rid of backported code.

Minor version are used to bring new functionalities, for testing
purpose, and when those new functions are ok, we switch to an even
number. I admit that this is a convention, and that an even version
should be considered as "stable" ;). In my mind, the difference is much
more a question of avoiding a lot of branching for odd versions, when
even versions should not evolve a lot...

So, to gather my opinion, here is what I think :
- If you want to switch to Java 5 with no change in the API, in order to
get rid of backported code, then 1.5 is the number
- If you want to use Java 5 features, like enum, generics, concurrence,
then it should be a 2.0

Btw, I think that 1.1, 1.2, etc ... should not change the 1.0 API. If I
check out the trunk, I can see that some classes have been deleted, and
some methods have been changed. Please use "deprecated" tag, this is
exactly what it is good for. If you need to change the existing API,
then do it in a 2.0 trunk, not in a 1.x trunk. It will be more and more
important as many people will use Mina...

2 cents :)

Emmanuel